Battle.net gaming clan. All battle.net games played.

HomeGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

W7 + SC = Crash

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
EarsAndTail!

PostSubject: W7 + SC = Crash   Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Well does anyone have any advice to stop Starcraft from crashing my PC? I'm using Windows 7 64bit, compatibility mode doesn't do anything =\ I've read through other forums and found that some people are using a batch to stop explorer.exe but some people say that this doesn't help! Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
Back to top Go down
MidNight(R)

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:05 pm

sorry wasent stupid enough to update thinking newer is better can't help but i know tachi and relapse had this problem o wait they don't play lol gl tho ^^ 64 bit copatability ? sc is a 32 game ? only thing i could suggest for short term is dual boot or emulate gl tho.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.clanrep.net
EarsAndTail!

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:54 pm

MidNight(R) wrote:
sorry wasent stupid enough to update thinking newer is better can't help but i know tachi and relapse had this problem o wait they don't play lol gl tho ^^ 64 bit copatability ? sc is a 32 game ? only thing i could suggest for short term is dual boot or emulate gl tho.
xD Well I was using Gentoo Linux before I got Windows 7 for free from my University so I wasn't upgrading from a Vista or XP x3 I would hate to have to run XP in a Virtual machine just to play Starcraft!
Back to top Go down
tachi(R)
Admin

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:04 am

bla bla bla midnght good job at being totally WRONG. i do play just not often =D

now on to subject at hand.

1. *right click* starcraft
2. *left click* properties (for the ubber dummys, that at the bottem) =D
3. *left click* Compatibility
4. *left click* run this program in compatiblity mode for:
5.*left click* find windows vista (service pack 2)
6. *left click* ok
7. thank tachi for your win.
8. repeat steps 7 and pat yourself on the back
9. give tachi all your money =D
Back to top Go down
Misery(R)

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:27 pm

Mid i think sc is actually a 16bit game, i could be wrong though. Only details...
Back to top Go down
tachi(R)
Admin

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:48 am

Misery(R) wrote:
Mid i think sc is actually a 16bit game, i could be wrong though. Only details...
LMAO BURNED!
Back to top Go down
MidNight(R)

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:18 pm

yea 16 bit u are correct my bad .. o well tachi at least i was "trying" i don't own win7 but my advice was not total wrong u could run scbw if u emulate so .. blow me Smile.

And as for being burned lets 1v1 and see how fast i can burn u .. o wait thats right let me help u

first follow instrctions above (urs for win7)
Then double click scbw exe to run
click mulitplayer .. i know its bene so long thought u might be lost
will ask u which server eww toughly for u but don't worry im here u want east
click ok after that and will bne taken to a log in screen
IF and IF ur shit is still vaild and u dont have to pull ur pass of ur bot
login .. if u reach this far amazing what u can do sometimes with my help Smile
next up is joining a channel simple enough for most but this is u we are talking about so
type in chatbox /j clan rep hit enter and omfg look at that ina chanel
if im arodun i'll host agame under my usually mid/mid
click join game (top left for dummys)
mid = my game name and should be entered into the gamename field
pass would be = mid (amazing shit huh)
clcik ok or hit enter and funny enough u should my join game
if u actually managwe to do that with out struggling with the conspete of it we can move on next to actually playing a game but dont wanna give u to much info lets make anothewr tutorial for u for that.
Back to top Go down
Misery(R)

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Haha, thats good stuff. Oh i hate sarcasm.
Back to top Go down
Palaris
Admin

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:47 am

I have tryed the .bat file didnt work made it play bout 10 mins longer if tht >.> compat mode dont work, i tryed to dl it form blizzard didnt work either.
Back to top Go down
http://clanrep.net
EarsAndTail!

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:44 pm

tachi(R) wrote:
bla bla bla midnght good job at being totally WRONG. i do play just not often =D

now on to subject at hand.

1. *right click* starcraft
2. *left click* properties (for the ubber dummys, that at the bottem) =D
3. *left click* Compatibility
4. *left click* run this program in compatiblity mode for:
5.*left click* find windows vista (service pack 2)
6. *left click* ok
7. thank tachi for your win.
8. repeat steps 7 and pat yourself on the back
9. give tachi all your money =D
You should really read the post before posting
Back to top Go down
tachi(R)
Admin

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:15 pm

true that my fault. it works for me. i havent had no problems with it, i us Win7 64 bit. had no trouble, keep going down the line though and it should work idk havent needed to try it =D
Back to top Go down
megazerg(R)

PostSubject: Win7 SC Crashing   Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:30 pm

A buddy of mine had this problem and tried the stuff above to fix it, but none of it worked for him. We spent the night messing with stuff and researching the web for answers. He did two things that finally got it fixed:

1. He reinstalled Star Craft from the original discs, and then upgraded to the current version from the downloaded UPDATE FILE available on Blizzard's site before getting on Battle.net, rather than letting Battle.net upgrade him.

2. He had a dual core Intel processor on his computer with Win 7. He restricted the chip to one core before getting in a game, and it never crashed. If he forgot to do the single core thing, it always crashed eventually.

After a while, he figured out how to set the computer to automatically run Star Craft on one core so he didn't have to set it all the time.
Back to top Go down
Camaro

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:20 am

For the short time I ran Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (64 bit for computer illiterates), I never had a problem with any crashes, except ONE BSOD that was caused by a Windows Authentication update. I downgraded back to Vista Home Premium x64 shortly thereafter because the GF doesn't like Win7.

So anyone saying that Starcraft crashes on Windows 7 needs to go download chaos launcher (here's a link for the Google Impaired), and run Starcraft in W-MODE. If that fails, it has to do with how YOU set up YOUR COPY of Windows 7.

Back to top Go down
EarsAndTail!

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:22 pm

Camaro wrote:
For the short time I ran Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (64 bit for computer illiterates), I never had a problem with any crashes, except ONE BSOD that was caused by a Windows Authentication update. I downgraded back to Vista Home Premium x64 shortly thereafter because the GF doesn't like Win7.

So anyone saying that Starcraft crashes on Windows 7 needs to go download chaos launcher (here's a link for the Google Impaired), and run Starcraft in W-MODE. If that fails, it has to do with how YOU set up YOUR COPY of Windows 7.

Do you know the reason why running it in Window Mode would protect it from crashing?
Back to top Go down
Camaro

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:02 pm

In Windows 7, the task bar is forced to be on top of all other windows. Most programs come into focus, minimize, focus again, minimize, and the user tries to restore the window, causing the program to 'chug' and then crash due to instability. When you're in a windowed version of the full scree, your forcing it not to goto fullscreen. This means the task bar is not minimizing your game and thus causing instability to the OS/Game.

In dumb people terms, its because the game is not trying to be on top of the Start Menu. However, this FIX is not guaranteed to work for every person. The reasoning is that every computer's set up is different then mine. So keep that in mind if you try running Starcraft in a window.
Back to top Go down
EarsAndTail!

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Camaro wrote:
In Windows 7, the task bar is forced to be on top of all other windows. Most programs come into focus, minimize, focus again, minimize, and the user tries to restore the window, causing the program to 'chug' and then crash due to instability. When you're in a windowed version of the full scree, your forcing it not to goto fullscreen. This means the task bar is not minimizing your game and thus causing instability to the OS/Game.

In dumb people terms, its because the game is not trying to be on top of the Start Menu. However, this FIX is not guaranteed to work for every person. The reasoning is that every computer's set up is different then mine. So keep that in mind if you try running Starcraft in a window.
Cool thanks ;3
Back to top Go down
megazerg(R)

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:58 pm

In case you are interested in trying the single core approach, here is the code in the batch file that my friend Rocky9112(R) copied off the web and used to use to keep his running. He put this in a file with a .bat extension and clicked on the batch file to start StarCraft. It assumes that Starcraft is in a directory called Games on the root of C:. If this is not the case in your computer, you would have to change that path to be whatever yours is.

It looks like the first line which is "rem'd out" is for if you are starting Starcraft in an ICCup environment.

Again, the purpose of this is to make Starcraft use only one "affinity" or core of the processor. This is how Rocky was able to play on his Windows 7 64 bit computer.

rem cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 C:\"Program Files\ICCup\Launcher"\"Launcher.exe"
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2
taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 2
cd C:\Games\Starcraft\
cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 C:\Games\Starcraft\StarCraft.exe
rem Wait for the game to quit, press Enter to continue
pause
start explorer.exe
exit
Back to top Go down
Camaro

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:07 pm

I have a quad core desktop. SC plays fine on that. I have a dual core laptop; SC plays fine on that. It has to deal with the setup not the affinity. So your friend is only forcing his way around the problem and is not able to get the full usage of his multi-core cpu.
Back to top Go down
MidNight(R)

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Sat May 01, 2010 6:29 pm

its scbw ? how much power u trygin to give it. i dont think that having it run in single mode is gonna make it any faster / slower then running it on a quad of duo mode its an old game so while his friend anot get everything his machine is capable of for playing scbw thats more then enough juice to kick ass and chew gum ^^
Back to top Go down
Camaro

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Sat May 01, 2010 7:30 pm

Unfortunately we are all out of gum.
Back to top Go down
Camaro

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Thu May 13, 2010 6:41 pm

After reviewing this problem yet again when sc started acting up on windows 7, the compatibility settings I had to use are as follows:

Back to top Go down
MidNight(R)

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Fri May 14, 2010 6:58 am

ok thre is a program that microsoft have that has a better / more options for running under compatability altho im unsure if it can be used for windows 7 .. i have it for xp when i need to run slighty older that dont like xp maybe the same can be applied to win7. Any ways its called mircosoft compatability apllication toolkit (atm ver 5) loads of options and its good run setting programs to default run on slow cup and emulating the old os options while the orignal compatability screen only gives you alimited array of such options this program gives you massive use over what the program can and can not do such options include what os u wanna run it on software emulations hardware limits for the game emulating slower cpu's memory it's worth looking into

run compatability administer
a new database is alrdy made
right click on it u want application fix
name: starcraft brood wars
vendor: blizzard
program: C:\Program Files\StarCraft\StarCraft.exe (or where ever urs is)
next
for os u select "none"
next
compatability fixes select EmulateSlowCpu (may need a trial and error on this runs in xp fine so try seeing what the differne is between what 7 does and xp)
next
finish
then right click on the new datbase that u just edited
install
this will emulate scbw on a single slower cpu and everything u need

make sure u check before hand that it is ok to use with win7 as i said i have only used it with win xp on a few differnt scbw not being one of em but after reading around up on the single core and other settings it might be jsut what u need to get it running.
Back to top Go down
Camaro

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Fri May 14, 2010 2:31 pm

Link for the google impaired.
Back to top Go down
MidNight(R)

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Fri May 14, 2010 7:16 pm

lol sorry woulda posted the link but being able to run the program and use it u must be at least be semi intelligent so with that in mind they shoulda been able to "find it" at least xD but yea let me know if it works out for any of you guys or girls
Back to top Go down
Camaro

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   Fri May 14, 2010 11:23 pm

"Fatal Error: Windows cannot start the program due to insufficient free memory. Please close some programs and try again."

Yet I have only 24% in use? Uhh it shouldn't need ~3 GB of ram!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: W7 + SC = Crash   

Back to top Go down

W7 + SC = Crash
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next